Saturday, November 24, 2012

More uke stuff

A bit of trimming this morning.

Here's that patch, all glued in. It doesn't really look that great, but it is solid. I think function over form might be important here - the side is so thin and weak, I really don't want to fool with it too much.

It is rather proud of the surrounding wood, though.

Sandpaper won't do the job here (I almost wrote "sandpaper won't cut it", and thought better of myself), so I have to use a chisel to just nibble at the patch until it is flat. There is a great chance that I will poke right through the surrounding wood, so I had to take my time.


Not bad. It really is obvious, but when it's finished it won't be too bad. Hey, if you don't want an ugly patch on your instrument, don't break it!!

I looked over my table and had an idea...

A little coffee would darken that patch up, right?

It's worth a shot. And it helped a bit.

Turning to the other uke, it was time to remove the clamp and cauls. The magnets were there to help me place the caul inside.

Nice!!!

Love the decorations on the neck.

Cool decal on the headstock. I strung the uke up and - meh. It's really purty, but quiet and muffled sounding. Ah well, they can't all be winners.

That patch is much less bright now.
I figure that the surrounding koa has oxidized while sitting unfinished for the last couple of years. I'll hit it with some fine steel wool before I start with the shellac. It should turn out well. I need to get to that binding, though. That will be an interesting job!




No comments:

Post a Comment