Thursday, August 2, 2012

Not a really accomplished day today, though I did get a few minutes in the garage.

I was puzzled by the 5th string nut. I knew it was ebony, but wasn't sure how it was kept in place. I wedged my fingernails underneath, and it popped right out! No glue or anything, just a good friction fit. How a piece like this stays in place for 120 years is beyond me. And it is tiny, so I will be VERY careful not to lose it.

While out today, I found this polish at a bicycle shop. It's pretty benign, non-toxic stuff.

And it seems to work a treat. I have a bunch of old t-shirts and socks in the garage, and just cut off three inch squares to use for whatever task I might have.  (I can't bring myself to use old underwear, no matter how many times I've washed it.) I'll pull the shoes off tomorrow and polish the whole pot. I also need to deal with the small hardware somehow.



The neck has a forward bow to it, thanks to the stupid steel strings that were there. My plan is to clamp it to this 2x2 oak piece, wedging a couple of guitar picks under the first and last frets to make a slight back bow. I'll then gently warm it up by placing it in my car on a 90 degree day. I expect it will spring back slightly, and should be almost straight when done. The neck is pretty rigid, so it will take a bit of pressure. 
I've got an ad up at the banjo hangout looking for the one missing hook, and should be able to get a skin and some tuners really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment