Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Favilla back glue up

The back is finally together on the Favilla.

What a pile of stuff for this job.

Both parts stayed nice and flat. I took a chisel to the blue cloth leftovers and scraped them off where it would matter. I'll scrape the rest tomorrow.

I've got the go bar deck ready to go.

Hide glue needs to be placed quickly, since it has a short open time. I took only one picture during the process. The Go bar deck was wonderful.

Everything is in place, including some reinforcements that I cut at a 45 degree angle so that they will hold the cracks tight without splitting themselves.

I also worked some more on the Cuatro, or at least my plan for the Cuatro. 

The radius of this coffee can just about matches the radius of this side.

I sanded this caul so that it would match the outside.

Then I used the coffee can to sand an inside caul to the correct radius. It took a few tries to get the two to match.

Well hey, look at that. I had to trim the inner caul, since it has a rather thin spot to work in, but it should be fine.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the blog. In fact, I have a 1976 D-35 complete with the broken headstock and thick gooey lacquer option! Headstock stayed put, but now it's time for a neck reset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. That lacquer form the 70's is really something, isn't it? I have a friend with a similar 70's D-28, and I simply cannot touch it - I turn it into silly putty with the sweat from my hands. He's also in the midst of a reset.

      I think Dan Erlewine recommends shoving a piece of carbon fiber into the square tube of those necks, as an additional piece of stiffening.

      Delete