Monday, March 30, 2015

Improving a Johnson resonator

So, last Christmas, I ended up with a Johnson resonator. (Don't ask). This is one of the early really cheap ones. Cheap construction, lots of badly placed plywood for the resonator to sit on, and a WAY too heavy spider.


WHOA!! Six ounces is a LOT of weight. 

The good folks at Paul Beard sell an import spider "for experimentation only" that weighs in at a bulky 5.7 ounces, this is even HEAVIER. What a great way to deaden sound!


Shallow slot
In Dan Erlewine's acoustic guitar repair videos (GREAT videos, by the way. Worth the money. Go buy them.) he spends a lot of time going over resonator upgrades. One key point is that the slots need to be a lot deeper to really hold the saddle correctly. That also removes a little bit of metal, not a bad deal.

I took the spider over to the belt sander and went to town, taking off material in the webbing between the legs. I also flattened the spider so that it no longer rocked on a flat surface.

Not bad, but could be better. You can see the curves in the webbing. 

Using three hack saw blades taped together to deepen the slot. 

I managed to take off .8 of an ounce. 
Lightening the bridge and improving the saddle slot really helped the guitar sing. It was amazing how much better it sounded. I'm sure I could do more, but I'm not sure how much more material I could remove without weakening the spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment