Monday, July 30, 2012

Summer is almost over

So, entirely too late, I discovered the blog potential of my Google account. My friend Ray has encouraged me to document some of my attempts at instrument repair, and I guess I now have no excuse. Unfortunately, I will return to the classroom next week, and won't have much time to blog, repair, or do anything else.



This Summer, I learned how to do a neck reset on a guitar. I purchased a Guild 12 string that had a loose neck joint, and did the reset myself, along with re-gluing the pick-guard and bridge. It turned out beautifully, and there is only a tiny amount of touch up to be done around the neck joint, since it broke apart without having been scored first.

Part of the goal of this blog is to share pictures of instrument in the middle of repairs. It helps me a lot when someone posts pictures of an instrument that is similar to an instrument I am about to work on, and hopefully I can pay forward by posting pictures that may help someone else.

In the future, I have a couple of banjos to bring back to life, and I plan to make a copy of a Frank Proffitt mountain banjo. I intend to blog the Proffitt banjo extensively, because it is such a neat instrument and has quite a history.

No comments:

Post a Comment