Saturday, September 1, 2012

3 day weekend!

 Okay, back to work today. The top of the Nunes uke is looking really good. 



 Hopefully you can see the two cracks on the sides of the soundhole. This one wasn't too bad, and almost disappeared when I pressed it into place.


This one, however, was really dirty. It looked pretty bad when I pressed it into place. 

 So, I got out a toothbrush, a pipette, and a boring old plastic bottled water.

 I pipetted (yes, that really is a verb, according to people who work in labs) some of the water in the crack, depending on the neutral ionization to suck out some of the dirt.
 And the toothbrush just helped encourage matters.
 It came clean, so I glued both cracks shut, using an acrylic caul on the uglier one.
 The frets I glued last weekend looked solid, so I repeated the process for the other loose frets.
 That's enough gluing for the day.
 I got the clamps off the Regal guitar, and found a lot more squeezeout that I had planned on.
Darn. Luckily, with the hot glue pot I use, I get a supply of warm water to work with. After about 15 minutes, it was all cleaned up.

I spent the rest of my time cleaning banjo parts. I finished all of the shoes, and blasted them with the steam hose to get the polish off of them.

Not a bad day's work

No comments:

Post a Comment