Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Winding in a reinforcement.

A brief one today - gluing the reinforcement in.

Waxing the caul with an old candle, in an attempt to keep it from sticking to any errant glue.

I cut out a liner for the bottom of the uke - I didn't want to get glue all over that nice label.

That should work.

Glue time - I used yellow wood glue, since I didn't know how well I would do at threading the piece in once I got started, and I figured that I would need all the working time I could get. hide glue might have set too soon.

At this point, it all went wrong - the string would itself around the block and the reinforcement piece, and I had to pull the whole mess out and start over. Here, I am pulling the string through again, and ready to start winding it on the tuner.

And here it is - it worked the second time, the reinforcement clamped up nice and tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment