Tuesday, June 23, 2015

More work on making the Kamaka flat again

I've had just a little time over the last couple of days to work on that Kamaka.

To review, the end block is too long for this instrument, and has pushed both the top and bottom off from the sides. I've already fixed the bottom, and now to work on the top. 


That crack is actually useful, it relieves the stress when I work in the sanding card. 


This is a sanding card. I glued 60 grit sandpaper to a gift card, and cut it down in width. It is flexible, thin, and stiff. 



I work the sanding card in and out, bending it up so that it doesn't also sand the sides. I put some pressure on the top in places as I work the end block down.  

After about 20 minutes, it is getting closer. 


Another 15, and I'm really close. The sides of the block are still too high, so I work these with more pressure.  



Once I was happy with the end block, I then got to work with a tiny sanding block for the bridge area. The bridge was never glued down flat, and there was some pretty thick residue to be scraped away. 

I also used a knife for some of the work. I always forget that I can sharpen these things. 

Well, here is something funny. I was trying to plan for regluing the bridge, and discovered that the bridge brace, called a popsicle brace in the case, is only under the bottom half of the bridge. I put a craft stick in the place where it is attached. Weird! This also complicates gluing the bridge, as I want a nice flat caul underneath the bridge. I'll cut up a craft stick and attach it to the caul, which should balance things out pretty well. I won't do it today, though, I'll just glue the end block. 

Hide glue and some acrylic plates to keep everything flat. I glued the crack too, might as well. 

I also did some gluing on a stenciled Silvertone that I am putting back together. Easy stuff. 
The Kamaka is really coming along, I just need to reglue the bridge, and possibly do a little intonation work with it, and then it will be done. The Silvertone has a few more tight cracks to deal with, but nothing awful. I hope to get back to the Guild and Cromwell later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment